Recipe: Sundried-tomato pesto chicken and roasted broccoli
|July 14, 2013||Posted by The Fit Scoop under Recipes|
This yummy dinner meal was easy to prepare and a hit with our guests. Serve with your favorite grain (I used couscous). Make the pesto ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to a month in an air-tight container for future meals!
2 heads of garlic
12 sun-dried tomato halves (2 ounces) *buy dried ones, not the ones packed in oil
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2-3 heads of broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the top off of each garlic head so that the inner cloves are exposed. Wrap in foil and roast for 45 minutes (until soft). Let cool by opening foil and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While garlic is roasting, add sun-dried tomatoes to a medium bowl and cover with boiling water and let soak for 20 minutes. Transfer softened tomatoes to a food processor along with 6 tablespoons of the soaking liquid. When garlic is cooled, add cheese, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper, salt, and garlic cloves to the processor. Pulse 3 -4 times and then process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. After washing and chopping broccoli, add to pan and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the broccoli. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray grill or grill pan with non-stick spray and heat on medium-high. Brush each side of chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook for 6-7 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- During last minute or two of chicken being on the grill slather 1-2 tablespoons of pesto mixture over the chicken.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!